HOW TO SELL YOUR HOME
A STEP BY STEP GUIDE
Finding a Seller’s Agent
- One easy place to begin is by contacting the agent that you worked with, when you bought your current home. You already know what it’s like to work with them, and you already have an idea of their professionalism. See if they are still in business.
- If you cannot contact your previous agent, or would like to work with someone else, ask friends and family for referrals. Here at RE/MAX Elevate, 75% of our business comes from referrals and repeat customers.
- Look in local papers, magazines, and online publications. Notice the agents that stand out to you, and have a positive presence in the community. Pay attention to real estate company ads that use professional images and descriptions, and have the best visibility.
- Search the web for Louisville real estate companies. Look at how many properties they are listing, what the photos are like, and how easy to navigate the website is. RE/MAX Elevate works hard to boost visibility for all of our listings, and uses enhanced features on sites like Realtor.com to allow for virtual tours too!
- After you have chosen the best real estate company in Boulder to represent you, keep in mind that all offices are slightly different. Go with the office that has a great track record, like RE/MAX Elevate.
- Select your individual agent from within the company and office. Meet with 2-3 agents to find the one that matches your style and personality, and who you can trust to guide you through this often-intense time. Your agent should be honest and professional, and communicate in a way that works for you.
Questions to Ask Your Prospective Seller’s Agent
Q: Is this your full-time job?
If an agent works other jobs, they may have a harder time staying up to date with the fast pace of the Louisville/Boulder real estate market, and all the changes that happen quickly. Realtors that are 100% devoted to this job can offer more detailed insights and inside knowledge.
Q: May I see your references?
Any good real estate agent will have references that they will happily share with you.
Q: How long have you been in the real estate business?
One survey in the National Association of Realtors noted that over 50% of their members had been in business less than 5 years. The more experience your agent has, the more ups and downs they’ve seen, and the better they will be at negotiating deals, setting realistic goals, and notifying you of concerns with home inspections. RE/MAX Elevate agents have an average of 17 years in the industry!
Q: Has anyone filed a complaint against you?
If yes, what was it for?
Q: Do you work as part of a team?
Sometimes, Realtors® work in small groups, and you may be in contact with multiple members of that group.
Q: Currently, how many listings are you working with?
This may give you clues to that agent’s expertise, and how available they may be. You don’t want to feel neglected, or have a hard time getting ahold of your agent, no matter how successful they may seem.
Q: Tell me about your marketing plan.
Your agent should be delighted to share how they will market your property, and how it will benefit you. Keep in mind that every agent may have a slightly different style and strategy.
Q: Do you work with mostly buyers or sellers?
Many agents have more experience working with one or the other.
Q: Do you have any additional credentials, designations, or specialties?
Some Realtors® have earned advanced designations that may make them a better fit for a certain type of seller. At RE/MAX Elevate, we’re proud to have a variety of agents who are EcoBrokers, Accredited Buyer Agents, Certified Residential Specialists, e-Pro Brokers, and more.
Q: What price range do you typically work in?
Find an agent that is comfortable working within your home’s price range.
Q: When or how often can I expect communication from you?
Every agent has their own style, as far as how they get in touch (phone, email, etc.) and how often. Make sure you talk about this, so everyone’s expectations can be met.
NOW IT’S TIME TO
CHOOSE AN AGENT
After you have met with several agents, likely you will have one in mind that suits you best. Perhaps you enjoyed their communication style or sense of humor, or you instantly felt comfortable with them. Remember that this is your personal guide and ally in selling your home.
Be in contact with your chosen agent. Don’t be afraid to ask for feedback, make notes or give insights, and of course, give compliments if you’re happy with their work! The relationship you form with your agent can make your selling experience all the more enjoyable.
Looking for the perfect Boulder real estate agent to sell your home? Reach out to us at RE/MAX today!